Meat Alternatives - Rachel Ellen

Sunday 12 February 2017

Meat Alternatives


12 days of being a vegetarian, in some ways, it's way easier than I thought, in other ways, how the hell do I eat at Mcdonalds?!

A couple of my housemates were grabbing a maccies and I thought, I might just have a cheeseburger. Oh wait..... without the burger. I guess that's just a cheese butty.

Mcdonalds is very limited in terms of veggie options, if you don't eat fish or meat can you even get a full meal? Now I know, a lot of people will be thinking "well duh, how have you only just realised this?" Because I don't pay much attention to the rest of the menu, a big mac meal and I'm sorted.

Shouldn't people be encouraged to choose the vegetarian option more often and not just burger after burger? 

This weekend's cooking has been a bit more trying out meat alternatives. Quorn mince is a very good contender, I've made chilli and burritos from it and they were super tasty. And actually I think in future I'd always buy that instead of mince now. It's cheaper, easier to cook, and less chance of poisoning yourself. Once the flavouring is on you don't even notice that much difference in taste which is great!



For tea tonight, I had sausage eggs and beans, don't judge me, I popped a yolk, nobody is more upset than me. But what a great meal to feel like normal food.

The sausages are Linda McCartney (recommendation from a uni friend, Danni, if you're reading, thanks!) They were only £1.29 in Lidl and after a bit of googling, might actually be cheaper at Asda. But the texture is very much sausage like, and they are quite tasty. They fit right into this meal that would go with meat sausages so good all round!




So judging by how good I have found these meat alternatives, Mcdonalds, don't you think it's time to make a veggie patty, or maybe a mac and cheese burger? (sorry if you're reading this Lucy, I stole the idea) Just anything to bring in the veggies, and maybe even a vegan or two and cut down slightly on the animal usage?

This post was brought to you by the hope that my friends actually read my blog posts.

Thanks for reading,

Rachel xx



No comments:

@templatesyard